Saturday, February 18, 2006

Bitter is a sweet word

iTunes: "Mr. Brightside" by The Killers
I am: skeptical

It's so funny that when I do complain about Springfield, it's not about the town itself, but more about the people in it. It sickens me how uncultured this city is. It sickens me to an extent when I can feel actual nausea. Don't get me wrong. For a while there I was arguing that Springfield's attention to the arts was growing and how real diversity was starting to appear. Yeah well every time I think we take a step towards the goal of a being a somewhat cultural gem some idiot changes my mind by making so typical white trash comment about art.

Example:
"Dude, you can totally see her boob! THAT IS SO AWWWWESOME!"

Now that wasn't the comment that this rant is pertaining to, but you get the general idea. People should strive to see the messages within art or appreciate the techniques used to make them. They should look within themselves and see how the piece makes them feel. That doesn't mean that everyone in Springfield has to love every single piece of art but to explore the feelings that arise within themselves when they look upon new and different works. If you hate something, then ask yourself why. Ask, "Why does this offend me? Was that the artist's purpose?" Looking at something and saying, "Haha! That totally looks like a dick!" is not analyzing art. If you look a painting and say, "Hey, that looks like a dick [or phallic symbol which is a more appropriate thing to say while in an art gallery]. I wonder if that changes the meaning of this piece? Was that done on purpose? Does that take away from anything from the artwork? Am I offended by this?" That is analyzing.

There is just a lack of maturity when it comes to people in this town and art. Arg. I'm not saying that "it's not getting better" because it is. It's just that ignorant people like that make it much more difficult to convince people who AREN'T FROM SPRINGFIELD that there is a wonderful underground art society.

Nuff said about that.

In other news, I hate Valentines day. No big suprise why.

No comments: